Transition to Secondary School
Our Year 6 children go on from Burdett-Coutts to a wide range of secondary schools, in Westminster and beyond.
Transferring to secondary school can be a time of mixed emotions and there is a great deal to take in, all at once. For many, the selection of the right secondary school is one of the most important decisions to take and in recognition of this, the school supports both parents and carers as well as the children through this process.
If your child is due to start Year 6 in September 2017, you will need to be thinking now about which secondary schools you would like to apply to for your child to start their secondary education from September 2018.
Admissions are made through The Pan London eAdmissions systems, which links all 33 London boroughs, together with eight councils bordering the capital, to co-ordinate admissions to their secondary schools. Under this system, parents list the schools that they want to apply for online, ranking them in order of preference.
The recommended way to apply is online and you can do this from 1st September 2017. The closing date for applications is 31 October 2017 and the national offer day is 1 March 2018.
Attention Year 5 parents:
To all Year 5 parents, kindly note that there is a Secondary School Transfer meeting on Thursday the 29th of June 2017 @ 9am. If you are not able to attend and would like more information, please contact the school office to speak to Mrs L. Deary.
Kindly note: the information below is now out of date and is for reference only. Key dates and information for 2018/2019 entry to secondary school will be published as soon as it is made available. Please check this page again soon.
The Hints And Tips leaflet published by Westminster City Council provides some basic information and will point you in the right direction to access further information. The leaflet also includes all open days and test dates for schools in Westminster.
For schools in Westminster, please read the Westminster: Your choice for secondary education brochure to assist you with your school choices.
Presentations for North Westminster and South Westminster are also available to inform you about the Secondary Transfer process. Where distance from home to school is used to allocate places, have a look at the cut-off distance maps to see the requirements.
Westminster Secondary School Open Days & Test Dates (for secondary admission in September 2017)
The Grey Coat Hospital
- Tuesday 27st September @ 5pm or 6pm
- Monday 3rd October @ 2pm
- Monday 10th October @ 5pm or 6pm
- Thursday 13th October @ 2pm
- Language Test: Tuesday 4th October 2016
- Assessment Test: Tuesday 29th November 2016
Tel: 020 7969 1998
Important forms (sample forms – please check later for updates):
King Solomon Academy
- Tuesday 11th October September @ 9 – 11am with headteacher talk @ 9am
- Please note: as Year 6 pupils at King Solomon Academy will automatically transfer to Year 7 from September 2015, there will be no or very few places available at the school for children attending from other primary schools. Applicants for the school are therefore strongly advised to also apply for other schools. Any places that do become available will be allocated accordingly to the Academy’s published admissions policy.
Tel: 020 7563 6900
Marylebone Boys' School
- Monday 3rd October @ 9.30 – 11.30am
- Thursday 6th October @ 5.30 – 7.30pm
- Monday 12th October @ 2 – 4pm
- Banding Test: Saturday 3rd December
Tel: 020 7372 0831
- Thursday 6th October @ 5 – 7pm
- Friday 7th October @ 11am – 12 midday
- Thursday 13th October @ 9 – 10am
Tel: 020 7479 3900
- Tuesday 20th September @ 8.30am
- Wednesday 21st September @ 8.30am
- Thursday 22nd September @ 5.30pm
Tel: 020 7828 0881
Quintin Kynaston Community Academy
- Open Evening: Wednesday 28th September @ 5.30 – 7.30pm
- Open Morning: Tuesday 4th October @ 9.15 – 10.30am
- Open Morning: Tuesday 11th October @ 9.15 – 10.30am
- Open Morning: Wednesday 19th October @ 9.15 – 10.30am
Tel: 020 7722 8141
St. Augustine's C.E. High School
- Tuesday 2oth September @ 5.30 – 7.30pm
- Tuesday 27th September to Thursday 29th September @ 9.15 – 10am
- Banding test: Saturday 3rd December
Tel: 020 7328 3434
St George's Catholic School
- Tuesday 11th October @ 9.30 – 11.30am and 5.30 – 7.30pm
Tel: 020 7328 0904
The St. Marylebone C.E. School
- Banding test: Saturday 12th November
Performing Arts Open Days:
- Music & Choral: Tuesday 28th June
- Dance & Drama: Wednesday 29th June
- Performing Arts application forms must be returned to the school by Friday 23rd September
- Tuesday 13th of September @ 8.45 – 10am
- Wednesday 14th of September @ 5 – 7pm
- Friday 16th of September @ 8.45 – 10am
- Wednesday 21st of September @ 8.45 – 10am
- Thursday 22nd of September @ 8.45 – 10am
Tel: 020 7935 4704
Supplementary information form:
Open mornings (9.30 – 10.30am):
- Thursday 2nd of July
- Friday 10th of July
- Thursday 16th of July
- Friday 18th of September
- Tuesday 22nd of September
- Monday 5th of October
- Thursday 8th of October
- Wednesday 14th of October
Open evening (5 – 7pm):
- Wednesday 30th September
Tel: 020 7121 0600
Independent Schools’ Open Day:
- Saturday, 17th September from 9.30am – 12.30pm
- Tuesday 2nd May 2017 from 2.30pm – 4.30pm.
There is no need for parents to book for these two major Open Days. Please note that 11+ registrations for 2017 entry are now closed and 2018 are filling up fast. We will also hold a series of smaller Open Mornings on several Wednesdays throughout the year from 9.45am to 11.30am. However, these are by appointment only and those interested should contact our main switchboard on 020 8870 4171.
Tips for a happy transition to secondary school:
- Check that you have all the published information about the schools you want to apply for
- Find out all you can about the school’s Admission Policy and the standard admission numbers
- Discuss the choice of schools with your child
- Make a personal visit to the school
- Remember to take supplementary forms and times of travelling into account as well as distances
- Make sure that you complete your online application on time
- Thursday 29th June – Burdett-Coutts Secondary School Transfer meeting @ 9am
- Friday 1st September – Opening date for online applications
- Tuesday 31st October – Closing date for online applications
- Thursday 1st of March – National Offer day
- The ICT suite at Burdett-Coutts school will be open to Year 6 parents with help available to complete your online application – dates to be confirmed.
Kindly note: the information below is now out of date and is for reference only. Key dates and information for 2018/2019 entry to secondary school will be published as soon as it is made available.
Admissions brochure (by council):
- Westminster: Hints and Tips: Applying for a secondary school place for entry in September 2017
- Westminster Your Choice For Secondary Education 2017: A guide for parents with children transferring to secondary school in 2017
- Kensington & Chelsea: Hints and tips
for applying to a secondary school: For entry in September 2017
- Kensington & Chelsea: Your Choice For Secondary Education 2017: A guide for parents with children transferring to secondary school in 2017
- Lambeth: A brief guide to secondary schools in Lambeth 2017/18
- Lambeth: Secondary schools in Lambeth 2017/18 – Information for parents/carers of children transferring from
primary to secondary school in September 2017