Transition to Secondary School
Our Year 6 children go on from Burdett-Coutts to a wide range of secondary schools, in Westminster and beyond.
Transferring to secondary school can be a time of mixed emotions and there is a great deal to take in, all at once. For many, the selection of the right secondary school is one of the most important decisions to take and in recognition of this, the school supports both parents and carers as well as the children through this process.
If your child is due to start Year 6 in September 2019, you will need to be thinking now about which secondary schools you would like to apply to for your child to start their secondary education from September 2020.
Admissions are made through The Pan London eAdmissions systems, which links all 33 London boroughs, together with eight councils bordering the capital, to co-ordinate admissions to their secondary schools. Under this system, parents list the schools that they want to apply for online, ranking them in order of preference.
The recommended way to apply is online and you can do this from 1st September 2019. The closing date for applications is 31 October 2019 and the national offer day is 1 March 2020.
The Hints And Tips leaflet published by Westminster City Council provides some basic information and will point you in the right direction to access further information. The leaflet also includes all open days and test dates for schools in Westminster.
For schools in Westminster, please read the Westminster: Your choice for secondary education brochure to assist you with your school choices.
Presentations for North Westminster and South Westminster are also available to inform you about the Secondary Transfer process. Where distance from home to school is used to allocate places, have a look at the cut-off distance maps to see the requirements.
Westminster City Council Secondary Schools Open Days & Test Dates (for secondary admission in September 2020)
The Grey Coat Hospital
To visit the school, parents must first book an appointment via the website.
- Tuesday 24th September @ 1.45 – 3.20pm
- Tuesday 1st October @ 1.45 – 3.20pm
- Monday 30th September @ one session at 5pm and one session at 6pm
- Monday 10th October @ one session at 5pm and one session at 6pm
- Language Aptitude Test: Tuesday 8th October (outcome of test notified by the end of October)
- Banding Test: Tuesday 4th December
Tel: 020 7969 1998
Harris Academy St John's Wood
- Open Evening: Wednesday 9th October @ 5.00 – 7.30pm
- Open Morning: Tuesday 15th October @ 9.00 – 10.30am
- Open Morning: Thursday 17th October @ 9.00 – 10.30am
Tel: 020 7722 8141
Marylebone Boys' School
- Tuesday 17th September @ 5.30 – 7.30pm
- Wednesday 25th September @ 9.30 – 10.30am
- Tuesday 9th October @ 9.00 – 10.30am
- Headteacher briefing & school tour: 9.00 – 10.30am: Tuesday 1st October, Tuesday 8th October, Friday 11th October & Tuesday 15th October.
- Banding Test: Saturday 28th September, Thursday 3rd October, Thursday 10th October & Thursday 17th October. Please visit the school website for further details.
Tel: 020 31437100
- Thursday 3rd October @ 5 – 7pm
- Friday 4th October @ 11am – 12 midday
- Thursday 10th October @ 9 – 10am
Tel: 020 7479 3900
- Tuesday 17th September @ 9.00am
- Wednesday 18th September @ 9.00am
- Thursday 19th September @ 5.30 – 7pm
Tel: 020 7828 0881
St. Augustine's C.E. High School
- Tuesday 17th September @ 5.00 – 6.30pm
- Tuesday 24th September to Thursday 26th September @ 9.15 – 10am
- Banding test: Saturday 30th November @ 9am
Tel: 020 7328 3434
St George's Catholic School
- Tuesday 1st October @ 9.30 – 11.30am and @ 5.30 – 7.30pm
Tel: 020 7328 0904
The St. Marylebone C.E. School
- Banding test: Saturday 9th November @ 9am, 10am and 11am
Performing Arts Open Days:
- Performing Arts application deadline: Friday 20th September
- Music & Choral 1st round Aptitude test: Tuesday 26th September @ 4.30pm
- Music & Choral 2nd round Aptitude test: Saturday 5th October
- Dance & Drama Aptitude: Saturday 5th October
- Tuesday 10th of September @ 8.45 – 10am
- Wednesday 11th of September @ 5 – 7pm
- Friday 13th of September @ 8.45 – 10am
- Wednesday 18th of September @ 8.45 – 10am
- Thursday 19th of September @ 8.45 – 10am
Tel: 020 7935 4704
Supplementary information form:
- Wednesday 18th of September @ 9.15am
- Monday 23rd of September @ 9.30am
- Tuesday 1st of October @ 4.30 – 6.30pm
- Thursday 8th of October @ 9.30am
- Thursday 17th of October @ 9.30am
Tel: 020 7121 0600
Westminster City School
- Thursday 19th September @ 10.00am – 12 midday
- Thursday 24th of September @ 4.30 – 6.30pm
- Saturday 28th September @ 10.00am – 12.00pm
- Tuesday 1st October @ 10.00am – 12 midday
- Thursday 3rd October @ 10.00am – 12 midday
- Saturday 9th November @ 9.30 – 11.15am
Tel: 020 79636300
Tips for a happy transition to secondary school:
- Check that you have all the published information about the schools you want to apply for
- Find out all you can about the school’s Admission Policy and the standard admission numbers
- Discuss the choice of schools with your child
- Make a personal visit to the school
- Remember to take supplementary forms and times of travelling into account as well as distances
- Make sure that you complete your online application on time
- Sunday 1st September – Opening date for online applications
- Thursday 31st October – Closing date for online applications
- Sunday 1st of March – National Offer day
- The ICT suite at Burdett-Coutts school will be open to Year 6 parents with help available to complete your online application – dates to be confirmed.
Admissions brochure (by council):
- Westminster: Hints and Tips: Applying for a secondary school place for entry in September 2020
- Westminster Your Choice For Secondary Education 2020: A guide for parents with children transferring to secondary school in 2020
- Kensington & Chelsea: Hints and tips for applying to a secondary school: For entry in September 2020
- Kensington & Chelsea: Your Choice For Secondary Education 2020: A guide for parents with children transferring to secondary school in 2020
- Lambeth: A brief guide to secondary schools in Lambeth 2020/21