Transition to Secondary School
Our Year 6 children go on from Burdett-Coutts to a wide range of secondary schools, in Westminster and beyond.
Transferring to secondary school can be a time of mixed emotions and there is a great deal to take in, all at once. For many, the selection of the right secondary school is one of the most important decisions to take and in recognition of this, the school supports both parents and carers as well as the children through this process.
If your child is due to start Year 6 in September 2020, you will need to be thinking now about which secondary schools you would like to apply to for your child to start their secondary education from September 2021.
Admissions are made through The Pan London eAdmissions systems, which links all 33 London boroughs, together with eight councils bordering the capital, to co-ordinate admissions to their secondary schools. Under this system, parents list the schools that they want to apply for online, ranking them in order of preference.
The recommended way to apply is online and you can do this from 1st September 2020. The closing date for applications is 31 October 2020 and the national offer day is 1 March 2021.
The Hints And Tips leaflet published by Westminster City Council provides some basic information and will point you in the right direction to access further information. The leaflet also includes all open days and test dates for schools in Westminster.
For schools in Westminster, please read the Westminster: Your choice for secondary education brochure to assist you with your school choices.
Presentations for North Westminster and South Westminster are also available to inform you about the Secondary Transfer process. Where distance from home to school is used to allocate places, have a look at the cut-off distance maps to see the requirements.
Westminster City Council Secondary Schools Open Days & Test Dates (for secondary admission in September 2021)
The Grey Coat Hospital
- Kindly note we are waiting for Greycoats Hospital to update their dates for 2021 admissions.
Tuesday 24th September @ 1.45 – 3.20pm Tuesday 1st October @ 1.45 – 3.20pm Monday 30th September @ one session at 5pm and one session at 6pm Monday 10th October @ one session at 5pm and one session at 6pm Language Aptitude Test: Tuesday 8th October (outcome of test notified by the end of October) Banding Test: Tuesday 4th December
Tel: 020 7969 1998
- Supplementary Information Form
- Clergy Reference Form
- Identification Form
- Information & Check List Sheet
Harris Academy St John's Wood
- Kindly note we are waiting for Harris Academy to update their dates for 2021 admissions.
Open Evening: Wednesday 9th October @ 5.00 – 7.30pm Open Morning: Tuesday 15th October @ 9.00 – 10.30am Open Morning: Thursday 17th October @ 9.00 – 10.30am
Tel: 020 7722 8141
Marylebone Boys' School
- Kindly note we are waiting for Marylebone Boys’ School to update their dates for 2021 admissions.
Tuesday 17th September @ 5.30 – 7.30pm Wednesday 25th September @ 9.30 – 10.30am Tuesday 9th October @ 9.00 – 10.30am Headteacher briefing & school tour: 9.00 – 10.30am: Tuesday 1st October, Tuesday 8th October, Friday 11th October & Tuesday 15th October. Banding Test: Saturday 28th September, Thursday 3rd October, Thursday 10th October & Thursday 17th October. Please visit the school website for further details.
Tel: 020 31437100
- Kindly note we are waiting for Paddington Academy to update their dates for 2021 admissions.
Thursday 3rd October @ 5 – 7pm Friday 4th October @ 11am – 12 midday Thursday 10th October @ 9 – 10am
Tel: 020 7479 3900
- Kindly note we are waiting for Pimlico Academy to update their dates for 2021 admissions.
Tuesday 17th September @ 9.00am Wednesday 18th September @ 9.00am Thursday 19th September @ 5.30 – 7pm
Tel: 020 7828 0881
St. Augustine's C.E. High School
- Kindly note we are waiting for St Augustine’s to update their dates for 2021 admissions.
Tuesday 17th September @ 5.00 – 6.30pm Tuesday 24th September to Thursday 26th September @ 9.15 – 10am Banding test: Saturday 30th November @ 9am
Tel: 020 7328 3434
St George's Catholic School
- Kindly note we are waiting for St George’s to update their dates for 2021 admissions.
Tuesday 1st October @ 9.30 – 11.30am and @ 5.30 – 7.30pm
Tel: 020 7328 0904
The St. Marylebone C.E. School
- Assessment Day: Saturday 14th November
Performing Arts Open Mornings:
- For Music & Choral applicants: Tuesday 23rd June @ 8.35 – 10am
- For Dance and Drama applicants: Wednesday 24th June @ 8.35 – 10am
Performing Arts Aptitude Tests:
- Performing Arts application deadline: Friday 18th September
- Music & Choral 1st round Aptitude test: Thursday 24th September @ 4.30pm
- Music & Choral 2nd round Aptitude test: Saturday 3rd October
- Dance & Drama Aptitude: Saturday 3rd October
- Friday 11th of September @ 8.35 – 10am
- Tuesday 15th of September @ 8.35 – 10am
- Wednesday 16th of September @ 5 – 7pm
- Thursday 17th of September @ 8.35 – 10am
- Friday 18th of September @ 8.35 – 10am
Tel: 020 7935 4704
Supplementary information form:
- Kindly note we are waiting for Westminster Academy to update their dates for 2021 admissions.
Wednesday 18th of September @ 9.15am Monday 23rd of September @ 9.30am Tuesday 1st of October @ 4.30 – 6.30pm Thursday 8th of October @ 9.30am Thursday 17th of October @ 9.30am
Tel: 020 7121 0600
Westminster City School
- Tuesday 15th September @ 9.30 – 11.15am
- Thursday 24th of September @ 9.30 – 11.15am
- Saturday 26th of September @ 10.00am – 12.00pm
- Thursday 1st October @ 5.00 – 7.00pm
- Tuesday 13th October @ 9.30 – 11.15am
- Thursday 3rd October @ 10.00am – 12 midday
- Westminster School are running a week of one-hour tours in October 2020, for those interested in Year 7 entry in 2021. You will receive a guided tour of our School with a member of staff and will be able to ask any questions that you have. Numbers are restricted for these tours, so you must book in advance on their website ›
- Monday & Tuesday 19th & 20th October @ 9am
- Wednesday 21st October @ 3.30pm
- Thursday & Friday 22nd & 23rd October @ 9am
Tel: 020 79636300
Tips for a happy transition to secondary school:
- Check that you have all the published information about the schools you want to apply for
- Find out all you can about the school’s Admission Policy and the standard admission numbers
- Discuss the choice of schools with your child
- Make a personal visit to the school
- Remember to take supplementary forms and times of travelling into account as well as distances
- Make sure that you complete your online application on time
- Tuesday 1st September – Opening date for online applications
- Saturday 31st October – Closing date for online applications
- Monday 1st of March – National Offer day
- The ICT suite at Burdett-Coutts school will be open to Year 6 parents with help available to complete your online application – dates to be confirmed.
Admissions brochure (by council):
- Westminster: Hints and Tips: Applying for a secondary school place for entry in September 2021
- Westminster Your Choice For Secondary Education 2020: A guide for parents with children transferring to secondary school in 2021
- Kensington & Chelsea: Hints and tips for applying to a secondary school: For entry in September 2021
- Kensington & Chelsea: Your Choice For Secondary Education 2020: A guide for parents with children transferring to secondary school in 2021
- Lambeth: A brief guide to secondary schools in Lambeth 2021/22
Supplementary information forms:
- St Marylebone Supplementary Information Form (Sample – Online from Sept)
- St Marylebone Clergy Form
- St Marylebone Performing Arts Application Form (Online)
- Grey Coat Hospital Supplementary Information Form 2021/2022
- Grey Coat Hospital Clergy Form 2021/2022
- Grey Coat Hospital Information and Checklist sheet 2021/2022