Transition to Secondary School
Our Year 6 children go on from Burdett-Coutts to a wide range of secondary schools, in Westminster and beyond.
Transferring to secondary school can be a time of mixed emotions and there is a great deal to take in, all at once. For many, the selection of the right secondary school is one of the most important decisions to take and in recognition of this, the school supports both parents and carers as well as the children through this process.
If your child is due to start Year 6 in September 2017, you will need to be thinking now about which secondary schools you would like to apply to for your child to start their secondary education from September 2018.
Admissions are made through The Pan London eAdmissions systems, which links all 33 London boroughs, together with eight councils bordering the capital, to co-ordinate admissions to their secondary schools. Under this system, parents list the schools that they want to apply for online, ranking them in order of preference.
The recommended way to apply is online and you can do this from 1st September 2017. The closing date for applications is 31 October 2017 and the national offer day is 1 March 2018.
The Hints And Tips leaflet published by Westminster City Council provides some basic information and will point you in the right direction to access further information. The leaflet also includes all open days and test dates for schools in Westminster.
For schools in Westminster, please read the Westminster: Your choice for secondary education brochure to assist you with your school choices.
Presentations for North Westminster and South Westminster are also available to inform you about the Secondary Transfer process (Kindly note that these are dated for 2017). Where distance from home to school is used to allocate places, have a look at the cut-off distance maps to see the requirements.
Westminster Secondary School Open Days & Test Dates (for secondary admission in September 2018)
The Grey Coat Hospital
- Tuesday 26th September @ 2pm
- Monday 2nd October @ 2pm
- Thursday 5th October @ 5pm and 6pm
- Wednesday 11th October @ 2pm
- Monday 16th October @ 5pm and 6pm
- Language Aptitude Test: Tuesday 3rd October 2017 (outcome of test notified by the end of October)
- Assessment Test: Tuesday 28th November 2017
Tel: 020 7969 1998
Important forms (sample forms – please check later for updates):
Harris Academy St John's Wood (Previously known as Quintin Kynaston Community Academy)
- Open Evening: Wednesday 11th October @ 5.00 – 7.00pm
- Open Morning: Tuesday 4th October @ 9.15 – 10.30am
- Open Morning: Tuesday 17th October @ 9.00 – 10.00am
- Open Morning: Thursday 19th October @ 9.00 – 10.00am
Tel: 020 7722 8141
King Solomon Academy
- Ordinarily there are no available places at this school as Year 6 children automatically move onto Year 7. Any vacancies that may arise will be offered to applicants with a sibling at the school.
Tel: 020 7563 6900
Marylebone Boys' School
- Monday 2nd October @ 9.00 – 11.00am
- Thursday 5th October @ 5.30 – 7.30pm
- Wednesday 11th October @ 9.00 – 11.00am
- Banding Test: Saturday 2nd December 2017. The school will contact you with further details.
Tel: 020 34746968
- Thursday 5th October @ 5 – 7pm
- Friday 6th October @ 11am – 12 midday
- Thursday 12th October @ 9 – 10am
Tel: 020 7479 3900
- Tuesday 26th September @ 8.30am
- Wednesday 27th September @ 8.30am
- Thursday 28th September @ 5.30pm
Tel: 020 7828 0881
St. Augustine's C.E. High School
- Tuesday 19th September @ 5.00 – 6.30pm
- Tuesday 26th September to Thursday 28th September @ 9.15 – 9.30am for guided tour and 10am for Headteacher’s talk.
- Banding test: Saturday 2nd December
Tel: 020 7328 3434
St George's Catholic School
- Tuesday 3rd October @ 9.30 – 11.30am and 5.30 – 7.30pm
Tel: 020 7328 0904
The St. Marylebone C.E. School
- Banding test: Saturday 11th November @ 9am
Performing Arts Open Days:
- Music & Choral Aptitude: Tuesday 27th June @ 8.45 – 10.00am
- Dance & Drama Aptitude: Wednesday 28th June @ 8.45 – 10.00am
- Performing Arts application deadline: Wednesday 20th September 2017. The school will contact you with further details.
- Music & Choral 1st round aptitude test: Thursday 28th September @ 4.30pm
- Music & Choral 2nd round aptitude test: Saturday 7th October. Please contact the school for further details.
- Dance & Dramal aptitude test date: Saturday 7th October. Please contact the school for further details.
- Tuesday 12th of September @ 8.45 – 10am
- Wednesday 13th of September @ 5 – 7pm
- Friday 15th of September @ 8.45 – 10am
- Tuesday 19th of September @ 8.45 – 10am
- Wednesday 20th of September @ 8.45 – 10am
Tel: 020 7935 4704
Supplementary information form:
Open mornings (9.30 – 10.30am):
- Monday 18th of September
- Tuesday 26th of September
- Wednesday 11th of October
- Thursday 19th of October
Open evening (5 – 7pm):
- Tuesday 3rd of October
Tel: 020 7121 0600
Westminster City School
- Thursday 28th of September @ 4.30 – 6.30pm
- Saturday 30th September @ 12.00 – 2.00pm
- Monday 2nd October @ 9.30 – 11.00am
- Wednesday 4th October @ 9.30 – 11.00am
- Tuesday 10th October @ 9.30 – 11.00am
- Wednesday 11th October @ 9.30 – 11.00am
- Saturday 9th December @9.30 – 11.00am
Tel: 020 79636300
Tips for a happy transition to secondary school:
- Check that you have all the published information about the schools you want to apply for
- Find out all you can about the school’s Admission Policy and the standard admission numbers
- Discuss the choice of schools with your child
- Make a personal visit to the school
- Remember to take supplementary forms and times of travelling into account as well as distances
- Make sure that you complete your online application on time
- Friday 1st September – Opening date for online applications
- Tuesday 31st October – Closing date for online applications
- Thursday 1st of March – National Offer day
- The ICT suite at Burdett-Coutts school will be open to Year 6 parents with help available to complete your online application – dates to be confirmed.
Admissions brochure (by council):
- Westminster: Hints and Tips: Applying for a secondary school place for entry in September 2018
- Westminster Your Choice For Secondary Education 2018: A guide for parents with children transferring to secondary school in 2018
- Kensington & Chelsea: Hints and tips
for applying to a secondary school: For entry in September 2018
- Kensington & Chelsea: Your Choice For Secondary Education 2018: A guide for parents with children transferring to secondary school in 2018
- Lambeth: A brief guide to secondary schools in Lambeth 2018/19
- Lambeth: Secondary schools in Lambeth 2018/19 – Information for parents/carers of children transferring from
primary to secondary school in September 2018